Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hawk of Achill

Here's the 2nd project of the semester.
The objective was to create two illustrations based on a piece of text that relates to a culture. The two pieces also had to relate to each other.

So..due to my love for all things Celtic. I illustrated the following pieces on the Celtic Hawk of Achill.
The information I used I found on this Celtic Symbols page which said:  

Celtic tradition lists the oldest animal as the Hawk of Achill.  As with many other birds, the hawk is a messenger of the various worlds. However, it is noted as being more skillful and stronger than most others of its species. To hear the cry of a hawk during a journey is an indication that it would be wise to be alert to upcoming situations that require boldness and decisiveness in order to keep from being thrown off-balance.  The hawk was considered a noble bird that brought the sun within his feathers, and enabled recollection and the ability to progress.


size: 8.5 x 11 inches | colored inks & watercolor
size: 8.5 x 11 inches | colored inks & watercolor
some detail


another detail shot

 How much time did I spend on these? Well...let's just say they were my priority and sleep was not an option, haha

2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful these illustrations..they have colors and fantastic imaginations.

    The before, very beautiful..the heroic character that he leaves quidare from the noble hawk.

    The second picture I can not define it, I see a "reflection" of the first .. but very "dedicated" to the observer's imagination.

    Surely in the Celtic simbologia they have a really meaning, but they always represent "transfigurations" that they reflect the personality of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:)

    For the last part, I agree, but I think that kind of thought can be applied to almost anything drawn/illustrated. We always, intentionally or not, put parts of ourselves into various aspects of our work:)

    ReplyDelete